Show Side Menu
Call 111 - When it is less urgent than 999
Patient Access
Follow Us On Facebook
eConsult - Consult our Doctors online
Connect to Support


At Gudge Heath Lane Practice we want our patients to receive the very highest standards of care possible. If you feel that we have failed to reach these standards, the preferred method of addressing any grievances should be directed to the Practice, in the first instance, in order that we are given the opportunity to respond directly to the concerns raised.

Complainants may choose to make their complaint in the first instance in writing (preferred), orally or electronically to the Practice.  If you wish the Practice to investigate your complaint, please address the correspondence for the attention of the Complaints Manager, Gudge Heath Lane Surgery 187 Gudge Heath Lane Fareham PO15 6QA or 01329 280887

You may also contact Hampshire Healthwatch which deals with initial complaints regarding a GP, GP services, or NHS services in Hampshire and should be directed to Freepost RTHH-KGST-ZRBC, Healthwatch Hampshire Westgate Chambers, Staple Gardens Winchester SO23 8SR Tel: 01962 440 262

The Fareham and Gosport Clinical Commissioning Board deals only with complaints relating to the services it commissions and can be contacted on 02392  282081

There are two stages of complaints handling: local resolution at Practice or Board level and secondly the referral to the Ombudsman. (Ombudsman - telephone number: 0345 015 4033   The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank London, SW1P 4QP)

Complaints should normally be made within twelve months of the incident about which you are complaining or within twelve months of you realising there was a cause for complaint. All complaints are dealt with in the strictness of confidence and will not be noted in your medical records or affect your future treatment in any way. Your complaint will be handled in the same way regardless of ethnicity, age, gender or disability.

Under ‘The NHS & Social Care Complaints Procedure,’ Practices as ‘Responsible Bodies’ have certain criteria to meet, which includes;

  1. Nominating a ‘Responsible Person’ – Dr Maguire (GP / Senior Partner).
  2. A ‘Complaints Manager’ – Rachael Sowerby (Practice Manager).
  3. To acknowledge receipt of any complaint within three working days, either orally or in writing and offer an opportunity to discuss the matter.
  4. Include in the discussion with the patient, how the complaint will be handled and the likely timescale for completion of the investigation and responding to the claimant. If the complainant does not accept the offer of a discussion, the Practice will determine a specified response period and notify the complaint in writing of that period.
  5. Record all oral complaints in writing and provide a copy of the written record for the complainant.
  6. Investigate complaints appropriately and deal efficiently and speedily with all complaints and keep the complainant informed as far as reasonably practicable of the progress of the investigation.
  7. Send the complainant a written response as soon as reasonably practicable after completing the investigation. The report will give an explanation of the investigation, conclusions reached and any remedial action needed. You will also be advised of your right to take the complaint to the Health Service Commissioner under the 1993 Act.
  8. Produce an annual report to NHS Commissioning Board

If you wish assistance in this matter, please feel free to liaise directly with Rachael Sowerby (Practice Manager, or with Angela Topp (Deputy Practice Manager).

For further advice, you can also contact the Hampshire Advocacy,  Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service at Havant and East Hants Mind, Leigh Park Community Centre, Dunsbury Way, Havant, PO9 5BG ; telephone number 02380 776657

Website: or email:

Or the CQC (who can not investigate individual complaints but can look at trends) 03000 61 61 61,

Find a support worker role near you today
Local Services, Let
Need care but want to stay in your own home? Family Ceremonies